What is family medicine?
Family medicine is a very inclusive form of healthcare that involves many different types of medicine. Many different conditions and treatment methods are used in a practice that involves numerous types of healthcare. A practice that focuses on family medicine offers many generalized healthcare programs, including:
- Pediatric Medicine - Pediatric medicine involves the care of children and preteens. This can include chronic ear infections, chicken pox, etc. Pediatric medicine also includes regular wellness checks and any other health issues a child may face.
- Immunizations - A family practice offers immunizations for people of all ages, starting at just a few months to adulthood.
- Preventative healthcare - Preventative healthcare involves various types of testing including, mammograms, prostate exams, colonoscopies, etc.
- Pregnancy - Physicians who specialize in family medicine also take care of pregnancies, pre-natal and newborn care.
- Geriatrics - As people age, their body changes leading to a variety of health issues including digestive issues, chronic illnesses, such as arthritis, and loss of coordination. They may also be at higher risk for certain types of cancer.
Does family medicine include primary care?
Yes, Annual checkups with the family doctor are an integral aspect of family medicine. These appointments are crucial because these exams are the best way to monitor any changes in your health. When you have a long-term relationship with your physician, it will be much easier for him or her to take note of any changes.
What services are included in family medicine?
- Well, Child Check, including routine immunizations and school/sports physicals.
- Adult Physical Exam and preventative medicine (screening for hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol, cervical cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, etc.).
- GYN Physical Exam to include a breast exam, pap, family planning/birth control.
- Pre-Employment Physical, DOT physical, return to work release.
- Evaluation and treatment of various acute illnesses and symptoms including: sore throats, ear pain, shortness of breath, bronchitis, pneumonia, allergies, allergic reactions, asthma, emphysema, chest pain, acid reflux, abdominal pain, diarrhea, urinary tract infection, pelvic pain, rashes, itching, acne, rosacea, joint pain, back pain, sports injuries, anxiety and depression, headaches, dizziness, etc.
- Evaluation and treatment of various chronic medical conditions and symptoms including: sleep apnea, fatigue, weight gain, hypertension, diabetes, coronary artery disease, emphysema, asthma, high cholesterol, reflux, chronic lower back pain, erectile dysfunction, irregular periods, family planning/birth control, thyroid diseases, anemia, migraine headaches, weakness, numbness, etc.